1996 Alaska Statutes
TITLE 21 INSURANCE
Chapter 21.84. FRATERNAL BENEFIT SOCIETIES
Sec. 21.84.900. Definitions.
In this chapter,
(1) "fraternal benefit society" means an incorporated society, order, or supreme lodge, without capital stock, including one exempted under AS 21.84.020 (a), whether incorporated or not, conducted solely for the benefit of its members and their beneficiaries and not for profit, operated on a lodge system with ritualistic form of work, having a representative form of government, and that makes provision for the payment of benefits under this chapter;
(2) "lodge system" means a society having a supreme legislative or governing body and subordinate lodges or branches by whatever name known, into which members are elected, initiated, or admitted under its constitution, laws, ritual, and rules; subordinate lodges or branches are required by law of the society to hold regular meetings at least once in each month;
(3) "premiums" means rates or other required contribution by whatever name known;
(4) "representative form of government" means a society in which
(A) there is provision in its constitution or laws for a supreme legislative or governing body, composed of representatives elected either by the members or by delegates elected directly or indirectly by the members, together with other members of the body prescribed by the society's constitution and laws;
(B) the representatives elected constitute a majority in number and have not less than two-thirds of the votes or less than the votes required to amend its constitution and laws;
(C) the meetings of the supreme legislative or governing body and the election of officers, representatives, or delegates are held as often as once in four calendar years;
(D) the society has a board of directors charged with the responsibility for managing its affairs in the interim between meetings of its supreme legislative or governing body, subject to control by the body and having powers and duties delegated to it in the constitution or laws of the society;
(E) the board of directors is elected by the supreme legislative or governing body, except in case of filling a vacancy in the interim between meetings of the body;
(F) the officers are elected either by the supreme legislative or governing body or by the board of directors; and
(G) the members, officers, representatives, or delegates may not vote by proxy;
(5) "society" unless otherwise indicated, means fraternal benefit society.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alaska may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.