2006 Alabama Code - Chapter 23 — SALES AND USE TAXES.
Article 1 Sales Tax.
- Section 40-23-1 — Definitions; transactions considered or not considered sales.
- Section 40-23-2 — (OPERATIVE JULY 1, 2004 TO SEPTEMBER 30, 2006) Tax levied on gross receipts; certain sales exempt; disposition of funds.
- Section 40-23-2.1 — Only one municipal or county sales, etc., tax collected on same sale; payment to improper locality.
- Section 40-23-3 — Exclusion of certain municipal privilege license taxes.
- Section 40-23-4 — Exemptions.
- Section 40-23-4.1 — Certain drugs exempt.
- Section 40-23-4.2 — Food stamp purchases exempt.
- Section 40-23-4.3 — Exemption form for certain agricultural purposes.
- Section 40-23-5 — Certain organizations and vendors exempt from payment of state, county and municipal sales and use taxes.
- Section 40-23-6 — License required to engage in business.
- Section 40-23-7 — Taxes due monthly; filing of reports; estimated payments authorized; election to file quarterly; extension of time for making return.
- Section 40-23-8 — Cash sales and credit collections to be reported.
- Section 40-23-9 — Records to be kept.
- Section 40-23-10 — Reports under oath.
- Section 40-23-11 — Penalty for failure to make reports or keep records.
- Section 40-23-12 — Penalty for willful refusal to make reports or permit examination of records.
- Section 40-23-24 — Itinerant vendors to file bond.
- Section 40-23-25 — Person selling out or quitting business to file return; part of purchase money to be withheld.
- Section 40-23-26 — Tax to be added to purchase price; refund unlawful; tax a direct tax on retail consumer.
- Section 40-23-27 — Violator may be restrained from continuing in business.
- Section 40-23-28 — Sales tax an additional tax.
- Section 40-23-30 — Administration and enforcement of division; appointment, etc., of agents, etc.
- Section 40-23-31 — Department to make rules and regulations.
- Section 40-23-34 — Proceeds of tax to be deposited in Treasury.
- Section 40-23-35 — Disposition of revenues from tax.
- Section 40-23-36 — Discounts.
- Section 40-23-37 — Agricultural machinery and equipment - Tax imposed; rate.
- Section 40-23-38 — Agricultural machinery and equipment - Enforcement; application of administrative provisions of this division.
- Section 40-23-39 — Refund of sales taxes paid on certain property purchased in state for export to foreign country; certain passenger vehicles and trucks exempt from sales and use taxes.
- Section 40-23-50 — Tax levied; collection and enforcement.
Article 2 Use Tax.
- Section 40-23-60 — Definitions.
- Section 40-23-61 — Property taxed; persons liable.
- Section 40-23-62 — Exemptions.
- Section 40-23-63 — Agricultural machinery or equipment - Tax imposed; rate; who liable.
- Section 40-23-64 — Agricultural machinery or equipment - Enforcement; application of administrative provisions of article.
- Section 40-23-65 — Credit for sales or use tax paid to another state.
- Section 40-23-66 — Retail sellers to register and give information.
- Section 40-23-67 — Seller to collect tax; seller not to assume or absorb tax.
- Section 40-23-68 — Seller to file returns.
- Section 40-23-74 — Extension of time for making return.
- Section 40-23-75 — Deposit of security.
- Section 40-23-77 — Discount; distribution and expenditure.
- Section 40-23-82 — Final return of retailer selling out; purchaser to retain part of purchase money.
- Section 40-23-83 — Records to be kept; enforcement of article; promulgation of regulations, etc.
- Section 40-23-85 — Disposition of funds derived from tax.
- Section 40-23-88 — Penalties.
Article 3 Taxes on Sale, Storage, and Use of Automotive Vehicles, Motorboats, Truck Trailers, etc.
- Section 40-23-100 — Definitions.
- Section 40-23-101 — Sales tax levied on automotive vehicles, motorboats, truck trailers, manufactured homes, etc.; additional receipts and taxes collected.
- Section 40-23-102 — Excise tax levied on storage or use of automotive vehicles, motorboats, truck trailers, manufactured homes, etc.; additional receipts and taxes collected.
- Section 40-23-103 — Sales tax levied on sale price less credit for trade-in.
- Section 40-23-104 — Collection of taxes before registration or licensing; proof of purchase price; proof of payment of tax.
- Section 40-23-105 — Applicability of certain Title 40 provisions.
- Section 40-23-106 — Reciprocity.
- Section 40-23-107 — Fees.
- Section 40-23-108 — Disposition of funds.
- Section 40-23-110 — Penalty for failure to pay tax.
- Section 40-23-111 — Authority to adopt and enforce rules and regulations.
Article 3A Tax on Boat Buyers.
Article 4 Violation of Tax Exempt Privilege.
- Section 40-23-120 — Good faith violations.
- Section 40-23-121 — Authorization to collect or recover sales taxes due on illegal purchases.
Article 5 Taxes on Sale of Gasoline and Motor Fuel.
Article 6 Tax on Remote Sellers.
- Section 40-23-150 — Education Trust Fund Rainy Day Account.
- Section 40-23-170 — Legislative findings.
- Section 40-23-171 — Definitions.
- Section 40-23-172 — Delegates for participation in multistate discussions.
- Section 40-23-173 — Duties of delegates; agreement.
- Section 40-23-174 — Distribution of proceeds.
- Section 40-23-190 — Conditions for remote entity nexus.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.