2006 Alabama Code - Chapter 28 — SCHOOL ATTENDANCE.
Article 1 General Provisions.
- Section 16-28-1 — Definitions.
- Section 16-28-2 — Purposes of article.
- Section 16-28-2.1 — Adoption of standards for mandatory attendance policy; parents held accountable; enforcement.
- Section 16-28-2.2 — Establishment of program by local boards to inform parents of educational responsibilities.
- Section 16-28-3 — Ages of children required to attend school; church school students exempt from operation of this section.
- Section 16-28-4 — Minimum age at which child may enter.
- Section 16-28-5 — Private tutor.
- Section 16-28-6 — Children exempt from attending public school.
- Section 16-28-7 — Report of enrollment.
- Section 16-28-8 — Reports required must be furnished.
- Section 16-28-9 — List of children who should attend school — Required.
- Section 16-28-10 — List of children who should attend school — How lists prepared.
- Section 16-28-11 — Enrollment report and list of potential students compared.
- Section 16-28-12 — Person in loco parentis responsible for child's school attendance and behavior; noncompliance; local boards to promulgate written behavior policy, contents, annual distribution, receipt to be documented; school officials required to report noncompliance; failure to report suspected violation; district attorneys vigorously to enforce provisions.
- Section 16-28-13 — Burden of proof on person in loco parentis.
- Section 16-28-14 — Habitual truant.
- Section 16-28-15 — Absence must be explained.
- Section 16-28-16 — Cases of nonenrollment and nonattendance; withdrawal of enrollment.
- Section 16-28-17 — When child may be taken into custody.
- Section 16-28-18 — Record kept by attendance officer.
- Section 16-28-19 — Attendance districts.
- Section 16-28-20 — Compensation of attendance officers.
- Section 16-28-21 — Juvenile court jurisdiction.
- Section 16-28-22 — Prosecutions.
- Section 16-28-23 — Attendance register and rules and regulations as evidence.
- Section 16-28-24 — Church schools may waive exemptions specified in this article.
Article 2 Conditioning of Driving Privileges upon School Attendance.
- Section 16-28-40 — License applicant under 19 to provide documentation of school enrollment, etc.; denial of application if requiste status not shown; role of school attendance official; effect of withdrawal from school; effect of conviction for certain pistol offenses on driving privileges.
- Section 16-28-41 — Written guidelines to be provided.
- Section 16-28-42 — Adoption of regulations.
- Section 16-28-43 — Article not to deny rights of exceptional children.
- Section 16-28-44 — Article not to deny constitutional rights of children.
- Section 16-28-45 — Construction with other attendance and vehicle laws.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.