Cerentano v. UMWA Health & Retirement Funds, No. 13-2037 (7th Cir. 2013)

Annotate this Case
Justia Opinion Summary

From 1978 to 2000, Cerentano worked as a coal miner. He was injured in 15 mining incidents and received six separate awards of permanent partial disability, but was able to return to work after each injury. In 2000 Cerentano was wrongfully discharged after a false positive drug test. Months later, he was diagnosed with depression due to his firing and treated for dysthymia and anxiety. Eventually, Cerentano found work as a real estate agent and a vehicle transporter. In 2005, Cerentano’s car was hit, causing more injuries. Cerentano was awarded Social Security disability benefits. He was denied disability pension benefits under the United Mine Workers Pension Trust Plan, based on the trustees’ conclusion that there was no causal link between his mine injuries and the award of Social Security benefits. Cerentano sued under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, 29 U.S.C. 1332(a)(1)(b). The district court granted summary judgment to the plan. The Seventh Circuit reversed and remanded. The trustees should have examined all of the injuries, severe and non‐severe, that the ALJ relied on in finding Cerentano disabled and should have determined which of those injuries were caused by mine accidents and whether, the mine‐related injuries, in combination, comprised “a causal link.”

Download PDF
    In the United States Court of Appeals For the Seventh Circuit ____________________  No. 13 2037  TONY CERENTANO,  Plaintiff Appellant,  v.  UMWA HEALTH AND RETIREMENT FUNDS,  Defendant Appellee.  ____________________  Appeal from the United States District Court for the  Southern District of Illinois.  No. 3:12-cv-00153 Michael J. Reagan, Judge.  ____________________  ARGUED NOVEMBER 6, 2013   DECIDED NOVEMBER 22, 2013  ____________________  Before WOOD, Chief Judge, and FLAUM and TINDER, Circuit  Judges.  FLAUM, Circuit Judge. From 1978 to 2000, Tony Cerentano  worked  as  a  coal  miner.  He  was  injured  in  ï¬ fteen  mining  incidents  and  received  six  separate  awards  of  permanent  partial  disability,  but  he  was  able  to  return  to  work  after  each  injury.  In  2005,  Cerentano s  car  was  rear ended,  resulting  in  more  injuries.  After  this  accident,  Cerentano  sought  and  was  awarded  Social  Security  disability  beneï¬ ts.  2  No. 13 2037  He  then  applied  for  disability  pension  beneï¬ ts  under  the  United  Mine  Workers  of  America  1974  Pension  Trust  Plan.  The  plan s  trustees  denied  Cerentano s  application  for  beneï¬ ts,  concluding  there  was  no  causal  link  between  his  mine  injuries  and  the  award  of  Social  Security  beneï¬ ts.  Cerentano  then  ï¬ led  suit,  challenging  the  trustees   decision  pursuant to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of  1974  (ERISA),  29  U.S.C.  § 1332(a)(1)(b).  The  district  court  granted  summary  judgment  to  the  defendant  plan.  We  reverse and remand to the plan s trustees.  I. Background  This  case  has  three  relevant  periods:  (1)  1978 2000;  (2) 2001 2004;  and  (3)  2005  and  after.  Cerentano  worked  in  the mines in the first period, worked out of the mines in the  second period, and did not work in the third period.  A. Injuries in the coal mines, 1978 2000  From  1978  until  2000,  Cerentano  worked  for  Monterey  Coal Company and was involved in various accidents on the  job,  resulting in  injuries to his elbow, knee,  back,  neck,  and  shoulders.  The  relevant  accidents  include  (but  are  not  necessarily limited to) the following.  On January 29, 1986, Cerentano sprained the right side of  his  back  while  lifting  a  shovelful  of  slate.  He  missed  work  for ten days. He received temporary total disability benefits  and a 1.25 percent permanent partial disability award.  On May 23, 1989, Cerentano injured his left elbow while  he was throwing a rock dust bag. He ultimately missed 247  days of work, including having surgery to repair a ruptured  biceps  tendon.  He  received  a  20  percent  permanent  partial  disability award. He later reinjured that elbow at work.  No. 13 2037  3  On  February  10,  1994,  Cerentano  sprained  his  left  knee  when he slipped while pulling loose cable. Despite popping  and occasional  pain in his knee, he  did not  miss  work  after  this  injury.  However,  on  June  3,  1994,  he  twisted  this  knee  when  he  stepped  on  a  piece  of  coal  while  stepping  off  a  ladder.  After  an  MRI,  Cerentano  had  surgery  to  repair  a  meniscal tear  and reconstruct the anterior  cruciate ligament  ( ACL ).  Seven  months  later,  he  returned  to  work  without  restriction.  He  received  a  35  percent  permanent  disability  award for his left leg.  On  February  27,  1999,  Cerentano  slipped  and  fell  when  he caught his foot on the lip of a coal hauling cart, straining  a  muscle  in  his  back.  A  follow up  examination  found  no  neurological  deficits,  and  an  MRI  of  his  spine  was  negative  for  disc  herniation  and  did  not  suggest  a  compression  fracture. Cerentano missed 88 days of work before returning.  He  received  temporary  total  disability  benefits  and  a  five  percent permanent partial disability award.1  On  July  27,  2000,  Cerentano  inhaled  fumes  when  he  opened the lid on a battery compartment in a coal car that he  had  been  operating.  After  complaining  of  chest  tightness  and dizziness, he was given oxygen and sent home. The next  day, he returned to work, but power was interrupted in the  mine. During the subsequent evacuation of the mine, he fell  ill,  became  light  headed,  and  fell  out  of  a  moving  cart.  He  was  taken  to  the  hospital  because  of  pain  in  his  shoulders,                                                    1  In  May  2000,  Cerentano s  family  doctor  (Dr.  Cantrell)  also  began  treating  him  for  dysthymia,  a  mood  disorder  whose  symptoms  are  longer lasting  but  less  severe  than  depression.  She  prescribed  antidepressants.  4  No. 13 2037  left  ankle,  and  left  knee.  Various  x rays  were  negative,  but  he was diagnosed with an injury to his left medial meniscus.  After an MRI, a doctor surgically repaired this knee, and also  found that the ACL was lax but not torn. In the aftermath of  the  accident,  another  doctor  examined  Cerentano  for  neck  and  back  pain.  He  diagnosed  contusions  of  the  cervical,  dorsal, and lumbar spines with a possible tear in the cervical  area  and  degenerative  changes  in  one  location.  He  recommended  weight  loss,  but  no  orthopedic  treatment.  Another physician, Dr. Dusek, treated Cerentano for pain in  both  shoulders,  and  performed  an  arthroscopy  of  the  right  shoulder. Cerentano recovered full range of motion.  Cerentano  received  workers   compensation  benefits  for  the  July  28th  accident,  and  was  awarded  an  additional  20  percent permanent partial disability for his left leg and 28.7  percent for his right arm. His shoulder pain continued, so he  had more testing. An MRI suggested a partial tendon tear in  the right shoulder but was negative for the left shoulder.  B. Events from 2001 2004  Although  he  was  ultimately  released  to  return  to  work  without  restriction,  Cerentano  last  worked  in  the  mines  on  July 28, 2000, because he was wrongfully discharged after a  false  positive  drug  test.  A  few  months  later,  Dr.  Cantrell  diagnosed  Cerentano  with  depression  due  to  his  firing  and  prescribed  antidepressants.  Based  on  various  symptoms,  a  psychologist  also  diagnosed  and  treated  Cerentano  for  dysthymia  and  anxiety.  Ultimately,  Cerentano  found  work  as a real estate agent and a recreational vehicle transporter.      No. 13 2037  5  C. Car accident and aftermath, 2005 and after  On February 16, 2005, Cerentano interviewed for a job as  a  laborer  in  a  warehouse.  On  his  way  back  from  the  (successful)  interview,  his  car  was  rear ended.  Dr.  Cantrell  diagnosed  Cerentano  with  cervicalgia  (neck  pain)  and  lumbar  pain.  X rays  showed  a  loss  of  normal  cervical  curvature and mild scoliosis with mild disc space narrowing  in his lumbar spine. One month later, an MRI showed slight  disc bulging with an annular tear. Cerentano soon returned  to Dr. Cantrell complaining of left knee pain. X rays revealed  a small fracture, which was attributed to the car accident.  Dr.  Scherer  evaluated  Cerentano s  left  knee  for  popping  and crunching. He noted Cerentano s prior ACL surgery and  said that Cerentano  did not have pain in his knee before the  accident.   Dr.  Scherer s  impression  was  a  knee  injury  from  the  car  accident,  either  from  a  blow  to  the  dashboard  or  a  violent  contraction  of  the  quadriceps.  Cerentano  requested  permission to start his new job; the doctor said that it might  be problematic but that Cerentano could work if he felt well  enough to do so.  In  September  2005,  Dr.  Cantrell  diagnosed  Cerentano  with  diabetes,  left  arm  neuropathy,  lumbar  pain  with  radiculopathy,  depression,  and  left  knee  pain.  In  December  2005,  Dr.  Gornet  examined  Cerentano  for  headaches  with  neck  pain,  pain  between  the  shoulder  blades,  pain  into  his  left arm, occasional pain in his right arm, back pain, and left  leg pain. Dr. Gornet said that the problems were attributable  to the car accident on February 16, 2005.  Dr.  Miller  examined  Cerentano  in  2006  for  left  shoulder  pain,  and  noted  that  the  pain  began  with  the  2005  car  6  No. 13 2037  accident. After an MRI showed inï¬ ammatory changes in the  left rotator cuï¬ , Dr. Miller diagnosed rotator cuï¬  tendonitis  and  acromioclavicular  (shoulder clavicle)  degenerative  joint  disease.  He  later  injected  Cerentano  with  cortisone,  but  the  results were disappointing. Dr. Miller s impression was that  the  pain  actually  emanated  from  Cerentano s  neck.  Cerentano continued having neck and back pain thereafter.  After  the  car  accident,  Cerentano  applied  for  Social  Security  Disability  Insurance  (SSDI)  beneï¬ ts.  He  sought  beneï¬ ts  beginning  on February  16, 2005, the date  of the car  accident. In a February 2008 opinion, an Administrative Law  Judge  (ALJ)  in  the  Social  Security  Administration  (SSA)  applied  the  SSA s  ï¬ ve step  sequential  test.  See  20  C.F.R.  § 404.1520(a).  The  steps  ask  whether  the  claimant  (Cerentano)  is  engaged  in  substantial  gainful  activity;  whether  he  has  a  severe  impairment  (or  a  combination  of  severe  impairments);  whether  he  is  automatically  disabled  because  his  severe  impairment  is  referenced  in  20  C.F.R.  § 404.1520(d);  if  not,  whether  he  can  perform  his  past  work  given his  residual functioning capacity,  which is based on  all  of  his  impairments  (not  just  his  severe  ones);  and  if  he  cannot do his past work, whether he can do any other work,  given  his  residual  functioning  capacity,  age,  education,  and  work  experience.  See  20  C.F.R.  §  404.1520.  Thus,  under  this  test,  an  individual  can  be  found  disabled  either  under  20  C.F.R. § 404.1520(d), or because he cannot do any work.  Applying  this  test,  the  ALJ  found  that  Cerentano  could  not do any work, and therefore was disabled and entitled to  beneï¬ ts.  Speciï¬ cally,  Cerentano  was  not  employed,  and  he  had  nine  severe  impairments:  asthma,  diabetes  mellitus,  morbid obesity, degenerative disc disease of the lumbar and  No. 13 2037  7  cervical spine, status post cervical fusion, degenerative joint  disease of the acromioclavicular joint, rotator cuï¬  tendonitis,  depression,  and  anxiety.   Despite  these  impairments,  he  could  not  be  found  disabled  under  20  C.F.R.  §  404.1520(d).  However, he could not perform his past work because of his  residual  functioning  capacity,  which  was  limited  due  to  asthma; diabetes; obesity; back and neck pain due to his 2005  car  accident;  degenerative  disc  disease  of  the  lumbar,  thoracic, and cervical spine; degenerative joint disease of the  acromioclavicular  joint;  rotator  cuï¬ /subacromial  bursitis;  chronic  back  strain;  ï¬ exion  contracture  of  the  left  elbow ;  internal derangement of the left knee ; anxiety, depression,  and mood swings; severe headaches and pain running down  the  neck  into  the  arms  and  hands;  and  knee  pain  attributable to a prior knee injury.  The ALJ then found that  there  were  no  jobs  that  Cerentano  could  perform  given  his  age,  education,  work  experience,  and  residual  functioning  capacity.  The ALJ  therefore  found  Cerentano  disabled  as  of  February 16, 2005.  Cerentano  then  applied  for  disability  pension  beneï¬ ts  from  the  United  Mine  Workers  of  America  1974  Pension  Trust  Plan  ( the  Plan ).  The  Plan  trustees  denied  both  his  application for beneï¬ ts and his appeal. Cerentano then ï¬ led  suit  in  federal  district  court,  challenging  the  trustees   determination.  The  parties  stipulated  to  a  remand  to  the  trustees to take another look, including analyzing additional  documentation. The trustees then issued another denial.  In  the  district  court,  both  parties  moved  for  summary  judgment,  and  the  Plan s  motion  was  granted.  The  district  court  first  determined  that  arbitrary  and  capricious  review  applied, because the Plan gives the trustees full discretion to  8  No. 13 2037  determine  eligibility  for  benefits.  The  district  court  then  noted  that  the  trustees  had  reviewed  Cerentano s  file  three  times and concluded that  none of his mine accidents alone  or  in  combination  substantially  contributed  to  his  total  disability.  The court found this determination reasonable.  II. Discussion  We review a district court s grant of summary judgment  de  novo.  Holmstrom  v.  Metro.  Life  Ins.  Co.,  615  F.3d  758,  766  (7th Cir. 2010).  Judicial review of an ERISA administrator s  benefits determination is de novo unless the plan grants the  administrator discretionary authority to determine eligibility  for benefits  or  to construe the terms of the  plan.  Id. (citing  Firestone Tire & Rubber Co. v. Bruch, 489 U.S. 101, 115 (1989)).  When,  as  here,  the  trustees  possess  such  discretionary  authority, we ask only whether their decision was arbitrary  and capricious. Tompkins v. Cent. Laborers  Pension Fund, 712  F.3d 995, 999 (7th Cir. 2013). Under arbitrary and capricious  review, we will uphold the trustees  decision  as long as (1)  it  is  possible  to  offer  a  reasoned  explanation,  based  on  the  evidence, for a particular outcome, (2) the decision is based  on  a  reasonable  explanation  of  relevant  plan  documents,  or  (3)  the  administrator  has  based  its  decision  on  a  consideration  of  the  relevant  factors  that  encompass  the  important  aspects  of  the  problem.   Id.  at  999  (citation  omitted).  Although  our  review  is  highly  deferential,  it  is  not a rubber stamp.  Holmstrom, 615 F.3d at 766. We will not  uphold  a  denial  of  benefits  when  there  is  an  absence  of  reasoning in the record to support it.  Williams v. Aetna Life  Ins. Co., 509 F.3d 317, 321 (7th Cir. 2007) (citation omitted).  In  this  case,  the  Plan s  text  states  that  a  participant  who  becomes  totally  disabled  as  a  result  of  a  mine  accident  ¦  No. 13 2037  9  shall  ¦  be  eligible  for  a  pension  while  so  disabled.  A  Participant shall be considered to be totally disabled only if  by  reason  of  such  accident  such  Participant  is  subsequently  determined  to  be  eligible  for  Social  Security  Disability  Insurance benefits  ¦ .  The phrases  as a result of  and  by  reason of  do not establish how closely connected the  mine  accident(s) must be to the disability. When a plan s language  is  ambiguous,  the trustees   interpretation  ¦ is entitled to  deference.  Tompkins, 712 F.3d at 1002. The trustees provide  an  interpretation  here,  stating  in  their  denial  that  Cerentano s SSDI benefits were not  causally related  to his  mine  injuries,  and  that  he  did  not  establish  a  causal  link   between his mine accidents and his award of SSDI benefits.  Moreover,  [t]he  Trustees  recognize  that  a  combination  of  injuries  can  cause  a  disability  under  the  Plan.   At  oral  argument,  counsel  for  the  trustees  reiterated  that  a  combination  of  injuries  from  mine  accidents  and  non mine  accidents  can  suffice.  Thus,  under  the  trustees   interpretation,  the  crucial  question  is  whether  there  is  a  causal  link   between  Cerentano s  injuries  from  mine  accidents and the ALJ s decision to award benefits.  The  trustees   denial  decision  does  not  directly  address  this key question, however. Instead, it incorrectly states that  the ALJ awarded benefits  based on  Cerentano s nine severe  impairments.  The  trustees   denial  addresses  each  of  these  severe  impairments,  concluding  that  none  resulted  from  a  mine  accident.  The  denial  also  determined  that  none  of  Cerentano s  many  accidents,  from  1978 2000,  was  itself  a  disabling  injury.  After  all,  he  returned  to  work  after  each  injury, the denial notes. At this point, the analysis ends.  10  No. 13 2037  Even under arbitrary and capricious review, this analysis  is  insufficient.  By  their  own  interpretation,  the  trustees  needed to assess whether Cerentano s mine injuries were  a  causal  link   in  the  ALJ s  decision  to  award  benefits.  There  are  two  ways  that  an  individual  can  be  awarded  SSDI  benefits:  the  first  relies  only  on  severe  impairments,  while  the  second  considers  all  impairments.  Cerentano  was  deemed  disabled  through  this  second  path,  after  the  ALJ  considered non severe injuries, several of which are or may  be from mine accidents (for instance,  flexion contracture of  the left elbow,   internal derangement of the left knee,  and  knee  pain  attributable  to  a  prior  knee  injury ).  Non mine related  injuries  certainly  contributed  to  Cerentano s  disability, but the Plan states that it is appropriate to award  benefits  in  certain  cases  based  on  a  combination  of  injuries,  only some of which were caused by mine accidents. On that  sensible  interpretation,  Cerentano s  elbow  (and  perhaps  several other) injuries could comprise  a causal link  in the  ALJ s  decision.2  Thus,  it  was  insufficient  for  the  trustees  to  conclude  that  each  individual  injury  was  not  itself  totally  disabling, because that is not the question in this case.                                                    2  Our  interpretation  is  consistent  with and  therefore  buttressed  by our  sister  circuits   interpretations  of  this  particular  defendant s  Plan.  Specifically,  the  Fourth  Circuit  said,  if  the  plaintiff  was  injured  in  a  mine  accident  and  that  injury,  whether  in  combination  with  a  previous  or  subsequent  condition,  is  substantially  responsible  for  plaintiff s  inability  to  perform  his  job  and  for  whatever  medical  and  vocational  reasons  he  is  unable  to  perform  an  alternative  job,  then  his  total  disability  results  from  a  mine  accident.   Boyd  v.  Trs.  of  UMW  Health  &  Ret.  Funds,  873  F.2d  57,  59  (4th  Cir.  1989)  (citation  omitted).  To  similar  effect the Sixth Circuit noted that  [t]he question is whether the accident  contributed  in  some  part  to  the  disability  of  [the  applicant].   Odom  v.  UMWA Health & Ret. Funds, 687 F.2d 843, 847 (6th Cir. 1982).  No. 13 2037  11  The Plan also argues that its denial is strongly supported  by the date of onset for Cerentano s SSDI benefits the date  of  his  car  accident,  which  is  more  than  four  years  after  he  last worked in the mines. Yet the date of onset does not cure  the  trustees   incomplete  analysis,  nor  preclude  the  possibility  that  injuries  from  mine  accidents  were  a  causal  link in the ALJ s decision.  In  sum,  the  trustees  should  have  examined  all  of  the  injuries both severe and non severe that the ALJ relied on  in finding Cerentano disabled. The trustees also should have  determined  which  of  those  injuries  were  caused  by  mine  accidents  and  whether,  in  combination,  those  mine related  injuries  comprised  a  causal  link   in  the  ALJ s  award  of  disability  benefits.  Of  course,  we  do  not  answer  these  questions here. We merely remand to the trustees to address  these  issues  in  a  new  round  of  review.  See  Holmstrom,  615  F.3d  at  778  ( When  an  ERISA  plan  administrator s  benefits  decision  has  been  arbitrary,  the  most  common  remedy  is  a  remand  for  a  fresh  administrative  decision  rather  than  an  outright award of benefits  ¦ . ).  III. Conclusion  For  the  foregoing  reasons,  we  REVERSE  and  REMAND  to  the Plan trustees. 

Some case metadata and case summaries were written with the help of AI, which can produce inaccuracies. You should read the full case before relying on it for legal research purposes.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.