USA v. Jeremy McIntyre, No. 12-1411 (7th Cir. 2012)

Annotate this Case
Download PDF
NONPRECEDENTIAL DISPOSITION To be cited only in accordance with   Fed. R. App. P. 32.1 United States Court of Appeals                       For the Seventh Circuit  Chicago, Illinois 60604    Argued October 2, 2012  Decided October 10, 2012          Before      FRANK H. EASTERBROOK, Chief Judge            RICHARD A. POSNER, Circuit Judge          ILANA DIAMOND ROVNER, Circuit Judge    No. 12 1411    UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,    Plaintiff Appellee,        v.                  JEREMY MAKYLE MCINTYRE,     Defendant Appellant.        Appeal from the United States District  Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin.               No. 11 Cr 93    Rudolph T. Randa,  Judge.   O R D E R  Jeremy McIntyre pleaded guilty  to  possessing and intending  to  distribute crack  cocaine and other controlled substances (not including heroin, however a clerical error  in the judgment names heroin as the controlled substance involved in the case, but the  error had no effect on the sentence). He was sentenced to 48 months in prison, and ap peals, challenging the sentence. On the basis of the drug equivalency tables (see U.S.S.G.  § 2D1.1, Application Note 10), which equate 1 gram of crack to just under 18 grams of  cocaine the defendant s guidelines range was 63 to 78 months. The defendant argued in  his sentencing memorandum that the  sentencing disparity between sentences for crack  No. 12 1411  Page 2 compared to powder cocaine  in the guidelines is  not supported by the relative harm fulness of crack and powder cocaine  and asked the judge to sentence him to 21 months  in  prison a  sentence  that  would  have  been  within  the  guidelines  range  if  the  guide lines used a 1:1 crack to powder ratio instead of the 18:1 ratio in the guidelines. (The 1:1  ratio would have made his guidelines range 21 to 27 months.)    The prosecutor responded that Congress, given its ability to collect and analyze  data, had a  policy making perspective  superior to judges and just recently established  the 18:1 ratio in the Fair Sentencing Act of 2010, Pub. L. No. 111 220, 124 Stat. 2372. In  response the defendant s lawyer reminded the judge that a sentencing judge is free to  impose a sentence in accordance with what it believes should be an appropriate treat ment of crack and powder,  Kimbrough v. United States, 552 U.S. 85, 110 (2007), provided  of course that it is within the statutory sentencing range.    The judge declined to second guess Congress s decision to fix the ratio of crack to  powder cocaine at 18:1:      And  relative  to  the  Fair  Sentencing  Act  of  2010  and  2011,  and  the  amendments,  as  the  Court  has  stated  countless  times  it s  not  its  job  to  second  guess Congress. They author a law, and the Court has to follow the law. It s very  dangerous  institutionally  for  the  Court  to  cross  over  and  say  well,  you  know,  I  don t like their reasoning in passing this law. I think it was politically expedient.  It s  very  dangerous  when  you  say,  well,  this  is  the  law,  but  it  was  passed  un der in  a  context  of  political  expediency,  therefore  I  don t  have  to  follow  it.  I  mean, that s pretty dangerous stuff, in my opinion. As far as observing the sepa ration of powers. And the degree of in put that a Court should have relative to  the Legislative process. And some people would argue that 100 to 1 ratio should  have remained the same. But it s not for me to argue that. It s what the Congress  decides. I mean, you look at this bill and say well, it s political expediency. Take  a look at the health care bill. 2,200 pages. Nobody knows what s in it. Talk about  political expediency. Passed without the help of the other party at midnight? But  it s the law, and if it was here, and I was told to enforce it, I d have to enforce it. .  . . I don t want to get political here, and I m not. It s just that when you go to this  political expediency comment, I mean, you just can t do that. There s many op portunities to do that, and the Judges aren t supposed to do that.      So arguments can be made both ways. But the Court still has to consider  that  Congress  has  got  an  18 to 1  ratio,  and  that s  the  way  to  consider  it,  and  that s why the guidelines are structured the way they are. So it s a serious offense  from that point of view.    Later the prosecutor, doubtless concerned that the judge s words might be taken  to deny discretion to give a sentence below the guidelines range, a range based on the  18:1  ratio,  asked  for an explicit  clarification.  Obviously  the Defendant  made the  ratio  argument  advocating  a  1 to 1,  as  opposed  to  an  18 to 1.  The  Court  rejected  that.  The  No. 12 1411  Page 3 Court understood, obviously, that it has the discretion, still, even after the Fair Sentenc ing Act, to go with the 1 to 1 if it chose to, is that correct?  The Court replied:  Yes, it is.  But this is the recommendation of the Congress, which the Court has, as indicated in its  other  positions  in  line  with  the  sentencing  guidelines even  though  they re  advisory,  gives it great weight. And as I said earlier, there are some people that argue that 100 to 1 ratio should be the ratio. I m not going to draw any opinion as to that. But if it was,  the court would also take that into account. But it s taking into account the 18 to 1 ratio,  giving it great weight, but the Court s reduction in sentence occurs because of its evalu ation  of  the  degree  of  cooperation  that  [the  defendant]  rendered.   (The  sentence  the  judge  gave,  48  months,  was  below  the  63 month  bottom  of  the  applicable  guidelines  range.)  We would have to remand if the judge had treated the guidelines as mandatory.  Gall v. United States, 552 U.S. 38, 51 (2007); United States v. Carter, 530 F.3d 565, 577 (7th  Cir.  2008);  United  States  v.  Bazazpour,  690  F.3d  796,  803  (6th  Cir.  2012).  But  the  judge  made  clear  that  he  realized  he  could  depart;  he  decided  not  to  do  so,  because  he  re spects  the  congressional  judgment  in  fixing  the  ratio  at  18:1.  In  effect  he  incorporated  the congressional judgment into his penal philosophy, as he was authorized to do. See  United States v. Meschino, 643 F.3d 1025, 1030 31 (7th Cir. 2011); United States v. Ultsch,  578 F.3d 827, 830 31 (8th Cir. 2009). The case is unlike United States v. Schmitt, 495 F.3d  860, 864 65 (7th Cir. 2007), on which the defendant relies, because in that case, while the  sentencing  judge  had  offered  a  cursory  acknowledgment  that  the  guidelines  are  advi sory,  the tenor of his remarks indicated that he felt that there was an outside constraint  on his discretion that he was not free to set aside.  See also United States v. Coopman, 602  F.3d  814,  817  (7th  Cir. 2010);  United  States  v.  Stone,  575  F.3d  83,  96  (1st  Cir.  2009).  The  judge  in  this  case  merely  decided  to  give  Congress s  advice  great  weight,   which  he  was entitled to do.  AFFIRMED. 

Some case metadata and case summaries were written with the help of AI, which can produce inaccuracies. You should read the full case before relying on it for legal research purposes.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.